This is still a draft!
Ingredients for the roux are for 1 cup of liquid. Adjust as necessary
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp butter
- Roux (above)
- 1 cup of pan drippings. If you don't have enough you can top it off using stock or water
- salt, pepper, spices to taste
A roux is the building block of a good gravy. There are much better guides to making roux on the internet but here are the basics. Mikayla, from The Flour Handprint has an excellent guide.
- Start by making the roux per the above guide. Equal parts flour and butter. Cook on a medium heat until desired roux is achieved.
- Mix in the drippings/liquid into the roux, stirring constantly.
- Bring back to a boil and simmer for a few minutes. Adding salt, pepper, and spices to taste. Make sure to taste as you go!